Saturday 28 April 2012

To Moustache or Not To Moustache?

"Why are Indian men so much in love with their moustache?" I am sure you think that it is my teenage daughter speaking. Nope, that is my teenage son. Yesterday while we were driving down to the local store to buy my weekly provisions I don't know what made him blurt that out. But it immediately took me back to the times when I was a teenager and had taken fancy to men with moustache. My brother would laugh at me and I would wonder what the fuss is all about. Then as I kept growing, my liking for men with moustache kept growing in the opposite. My apologies to all my mous'tached friends, but the fact may be that I am not even aware of them supporting one. I won't say I started disliking men with moustache but just that when I looked at them I would think how can they support it without any problems on the upper lip right below the sensitive nose.....

One has to credit the fact that they have had an evolution of their own kind. They are in  all sorts of shapes and sizes too. Right from the huge ones that find a mention in the Guinness Book of Records to the tiniest ones. When I talk of the tiniest one, Hitler comes in mind. This moustache sits right there, in the cleft of the lip making a person look so Hitler like. To make it feel better let's say so Charlie Chaplin like. A search on google tells me that it's called the toothbrush moustache. Can you believe it, that there was  a moustache spoon for mous'tached people to drink soups during the Victorian England? That's what Wikepedia informs me. Here are two links one should visit. One brags about the goodness of the hairy fashion statement, and how to maintain and take care of them, http://www.nowthatsnifty.com/2009/05/great-moustaches-and-moustache-types.html#.T5ws1cT9NH8 while the other  http://www.cracked.com/blog/a-guide-to-the-modern-moustache/ talks about the ones which should be banned. My personal favorite is the second link. But then whatever.... I never wished to talk about the types of moustaches, I was just retrospecting as to how can people support such a thing in such a sensitive part below the nose. Specially the real bushy ones.

Observing the movement of a moustache while the person supporting them is eating or talking is a pass time on its own. Watching those with the thicker ones is more ticklish to one's heart. Then when the men supporting a huge burly moustache gulp down a glass full  of milk or butter milk and have it smeared all over their moustache.....the way it is licked clean eeeeeew....

Not to forget, that there are people like our own Hindi film stars like Anil Kapoor and Jackie Shroff, who look the best in their trademark moustache. (I abhor saying Bollywood because I find that name very downmarket). In fact these two people without their trademark moustaches come across as if they are going through an identity crisis. 

So can the verdict be that the problem is not the person supporting the moustache, but the shape of the moustache? That's why maybe I support the second link. Ban some keep some. Can't be more judgemental than this. My dad too supported the toothbrush and the pencil moustache, but that was long before I was born. I fortunately saw him clean shaven. Thank you daddy. Your sweet kisses otherwise would have been so prickly.....
"To Moustache or not to moustache that is the question."

No comments:

Post a Comment